Unlike previous versions, in Oracle R12.2 developers need to use the adsplice tool to register custom applications in order to ensure that “Online Patching” is compatible with what is being developed. However, note that you should not use the registration form included in the application for this task.
To create a custom application in Oracle R12.2 developers should follow this procedure:
- Download the 3636980 patch
- Rename the files included in the patch: change all references of the “IZU” application to the name of our custom application e.g. “XXI”
- Change the Product ID “278” reference to a new ID – Oracle recommends using values higher than 50,000 for our custom ID
- Run adsplice to register the product
All these changes will be synchronized between the “PATCH” and “RUN” file systems once the next Online Patching cycle is initiated (adop=prepare.)
In addition, if customizations include JAVA developments, it’s advisable to apply the 17217965 and 17217772 patches.
Due to this change in procedure, deploying R12.2 customizations will have to be done within an Online Patching cycle. To do this, you will need to:
- Run the preparation phase (adop phase=prepare) in the production environment
- Connect to the “PATCH” file system
- Copy and deploy our developments
- Configure the custom synchronization driver file in order to ensure that adop synchronizes all the changes between the “PATCH” and “RUN” file systems. The file name is “adop_sync.drv”, and it can be found here: “/EBSapps/appl/ad/custom”.
- Run the cutover phase (adop phase=cutover)
Be aware that the above steps cover the basic procedure for this version, but there are specific procedures you’ll need to follow for certain types of objects in our application.
You can find more information about custom Developments in Oracle R12.2 in these documents:
- Deploying Customizations in Oracle E-Business Suite Release 12.2 (Doc ID 1577661.1)
- Creating a Custom Application in Oracle E-Business Suite Release 12.2 (Doc ID 1577707.1)
- Oracle® E-Business Suite – Developer’s Guide Release 12.2 – Part No. E22961-08
You can also get more insight into the subject by reading another blog post on this thread “Considerations for Oracle R12.2 Customizations .”
To get a little bit better insight into R12.2’s on-line patching functionality, click here for “Oracle R12.2 On Line Patching, What It Is and What it Isn’t.”
Join our October 2013 webcast
Maybe you missed OOW, but you are still in time to attend our October 30th, 2013 Webcast: “Oracle R12.2 and You. Insight from a Beta Tester.” The webcast will feature insight on the on-line patching functionality, its impact, customizations and extensions.
Register today and reserve your spot.
Oracle OpenWorld is the biggest and most important event of the ERP calendar and IT Convergence wants you to take full advantage. Click here to visit our OOW13 resources page and/or follow all of the action from wherever you are in the world by reading all of this blog’s entries on our Oracle OpenWorld .