Advantages of Moving to Public Cloud
Several business world digital leaders are investing significantly in all three cloud delivery models (IaaS, PaaS & SaaS). The role and importance of cloud today is undeniable and can be overlooked at ones on perils. Some organizations are leading the change and few have just started their journey.
However it is important to make an effective case for a cloud-migration project, which depends heavily on citing the right justifications. Consider which of the following would resonate within your organization:
- Agility and scalability — The resource is pay-as-you-go. If an application is designed properly, it is easy to scale in a short period of time. The unlimited scalability and the flexibility to scale up and down very quickly to meet sudden spikes in demand are really unmatched.
- Cost optimization — Use functions based on business demand to build and compare the traditional IT cost model and a public cloud cost model. This is still an open conversation as to how much cost is saved. However if deployed properly through the right methodologies, there are substantial cost optimizations to be gained.
- Business innovation — Cloud enables lower barriers to entry for innovation and prototyping. It is expensive and time consuming to build testing and development infrastructure in-house. The cloud provider may offer more advanced functional capabilities in the areas of advanced data analysis and processing. Technologies like IoT and AI have opened completely new ways of collecting and analyzing data to deliver real-time intelligent information to customers. With its ability to enable innovation, velocity, and agility, the cloud allows you to create new revenue streams that were previously not possible, letting you quickly move current products and services to the next level today.
- Broader geographic distribution — The global distribution of cloud infrastructure and platform services (that is, IaaS and PaaS) enables applications to be deployed to other regions quickly and more cost-effectively. Usage of the geographically distributed data centres promises a number of advantages for end users such as opportunity to add additional DC and service availability through redundancy and faster geographical distribution of data.
Additionally the benefits of cloud migration with the following business-optimization areas can also be showcased:
- Increased cloud application availability — The major IaaS and PaaS providers have demonstrated high levels of security and reliability. If you have the right application design, you can increase application security and availability accordingly. Check out this ebook with ‘Gartner’s assessment on reasons to consider Oracle OCI in your next cloud assessment.’
- Shorter project delivery times — Cloud IaaS is a good approach for customers looking forward to experiment trial and error, offering the speed required to test the business model’s success.
- New functions for cost control — Build a cost or revenue forecast based on the ability to reduce the cost using new functions or to drive new sources of revenue using new data analytics capabilities.
- The technical flexibility — As per Gartner, this offloads the responsibility for the configuration and operation of servers, storage, the network and data centers. IT leaders can build the infrastructure-as-code delivery model and modernize applications and services. Security improvement — Use automation to build immutable infrastructure. This approach can improve the infrastructure security fundamentally in terms of automation, templates and elasticity.
Ideate using this sample benefits worksheet
|Benefit Groups||Example Benefit||Benefit Impact Level|
|Cost Benefits||Decreasing infrastructure costs||Medium|
|Increased Operational and Organizational Agility||Lower capital expenditures||High|
|Lesson budget risk||Low|
|Eliminate the lag between business and it||Medium|
|Ensure organizational agility||Low|
|Instantaneously scale up or down in line with consumption||High|
|Avoid costly upgrades, wait times and capacity constrain medium||Medium|
|Outsource non-key areas low||Low|
|Innovation||Focus on core competencies to maximize competitive advantage||Medium|