For many IT organizations, the shift of assets to the cloud is now a question of “when” and “how much,” not “if.”. For mission critical applications such as EBS, JD Edwards, Peoplesoft, Oracle Cloud Infrastructure (OCI) comes naturally in the preferred list of cloud providers.
In your Cloud Migration Assessment planning, discovery might be time consuming, and it might not be possible to collect all the required data. In some cases, you might need additional discovery data depending on your environment and requirements. So, use your judgement to determine when you have enough information to move on to next phases of the cloud migration project.
You may want to assess your current solutions/software used vs Oracle OCI marketplace offerings as this may help you get easy to integrate solutions with your Oracle applications.
In an effort to ensure OCI tenancy build(s) are completed in a timely manner, IT Convergence recommends collection of the following pieces of information prior to the migration kickoff. Use this checklist, and recommended resources to identify and fulfill the key steps for building and implementing your cloud migration plan.
- Stakeholder details, challenges, requirements, and responsibilities (RACI)
- Inventory of physical and virtual infrastructure: servers, storage, switches, and their uses
- Inventory of applications, software, and current licensing
- Current implementation details and architectures
- Modernization and migration pattern and operating model
- Security and compliance requirements
- Future-state architecture blueprint for Oracle Cloud Infrastructure
Current architecture diagram or detailed information including as many of the following data elements as possible.
- Server and operating system
- Database and version
- Application and version
- Port IPs
- Shared Mounts
- API Connections
- Network devices
Database and applications licensing for the environment that will be migrated to utilize as validation against the proposed OCI architecture.
- Recent and updated network diagram illustrating locations in and out of the environment that exists today.
- Bandwidth and connectivity methods from each location into OCI that will be required.
- Number of users in each physical location that will access the OCI environment over the cloud links (Concurrent users)
- Document operating system access management process and configuration.
- Document operating system privileged access requirements, if necessary.
Database & Applications
- Document database access management process and configuration.
- Document database privileged access requirements, if necessary.
- Document applications access management process and configuration.
- Document application privileged access requirements, if necessary.
Listing of all active integrations required into and out of the OCI environment
- Server and instance firewalls
- Intrusion detection or prevention systems (IDS/IPS)
- Pen testing and vulnerability assessment
- Other security tools and software
- Disaster recovery
- Performance metrics used
- Peak CPU utilization percentage
- Average CPU utilization percentage
To accelerate your migration and get first time right to OCI, you may consider engaging with a certified Oracle MSE provider. IT Convergence can help advise, build, deploy, optimize and manage your migration, all under a single contract. We have devised the right tools and methodologies to ensure you reach OCI faster with minimum downtime and with minimum effort.